Monday, January 11, 2010

The Supermarket: Trials and Tribulations

When I go shopping, I try to leave with as little bags as possible. It is important because when I get home I normally need to trudge to the elevator with my hands filled with bags and at times holding a baby. For this reason, I bring my backpack with me when I go to the supermarket; I prefer, to fill my backpack with the majority of my groceries and leave my hands free for other activities.

Unfortunately, the supermarket does not seem to accept or embrace my lifestyle choice. In fact, they throw as many obstacles in my way as they possibly can.

Today I neared the end of my thirty minute shopping trip, and arrived at the register with a cart and baby filled with food. As I approach the register I noticed the bag boy waiting for me at the opposite end. I smiled in his general direction and announced that I do not need his help but thank you. Smiling back he ignored me. Not wanting to press the issue I began unloading the food as fast as I could. Once more I nodded the bag boy off, this time I showed him my backpack implying that this is the bag I would like to fill. Once more he smiled and promptly ignored me. Frantically, I continued throwing my items on to the belt. There is an order to my chaos; I hope to get to the other end before the smaller items reach the bagboy.

My daughter, who was quiet until now begins pulling small candies from the shelf and throwing them into the cart and on to the belt. Quickly, I began to throw the candy back on the shelf, while trying to explain to her that we do not want this kind of candy anyway.



Once I finished unloading my cart and returning the candy, I pull the cart towards the end and pull out my bag. Something blocked my way I looked down to find three bags on the floor. The bag boy had placed the bagged items on the floor blocking my way. I gave him a dirty look as I picked up the items, he just smiled in return.

Finally, I stood next to the unrelenting bag boy and began to fill my bag with the items. The bag boy paid no attention as he continued to bag any items coming his way. I give an annoyed grunt as I pushed the carrots into my bag.

As the end drew near the last few items were passed to us. I grabbed the celery and tried to put it in my bag when I felt a tug; looking over I saw the bag boy holding the other end forcibly trying to bag my celery. We smile at each other, but he does not let go. My smile vanishes as I try to pull the celery away. The bag boy still smiling pulls back.

The cashier seemingly ignorant of the situation requests that I pay for my groceries. Grabbing the celery with both hands I yanked as hard as I could. The smiling bag boy lost his grip and I watched in horror as the celery caught him under the chin and he flew backwards. The force slammed him into the opposite window which consequently shattered as he flew through.

The cashier still oblivious requested once more that I pay and I dumbly handed her my credit card. She swiped it, handed it back, and thanked me for shopping there. The celery was limp in my hand as I quickly signed the receipt. No one seemed to notice or care

Suddenly, the celery was pulled from my limp limb. Turning I found the bag boy smiling, blood dripping from his open wounds, as he placed the celery in the bag.

1 comment:

  1. this is why there are no bag boys in normal israeli supermarkets!!
    -AJ

    ReplyDelete