Tuesday, October 13, 2009

My Nobel Prize


The other day as I was sitting in my living room playing with my daughter the phone rang. My wife picked it up and slowly handed it to me.
"Who is it?" I asked
She shook her head and shrugged.
"Is this Shraga Weissmann?" asked the caller.
"Why yes it is," I answered hesitantly, "May I ask who's calling?"
"Of course, this is the Nobel Prize committee."
I laughed, "No, really."
"Yes, we are for real. We have read a manuscript of your unfinished novel, and would like to give you the Nobel Prize for Literature."
"No, seriously who is this?"
"I have to say that Tommy Greene is a personal hero of mine."
"Thank you, wait, how did you get a copy?"
"We are the Nobel Prize Committee!"

"Why are you giving me the prize, I mean I haven't done anything yet I'm still editing."
"Yes, well, you have worked extremely hard towards finishing your novel, and that seems to be the theme of this year's Nobel prizes. You do not actually have to accomplish anything to do it, just work towards it."
"Wow, I don't know what to say."
"Just say yes," said the exasperated voice.
"Okay yes, wow this is such an honor."
"Yeah, whatever."
"I cannot wait to tell my family."
"Look we would feel better if you did not tell anyone about this."
I laughed," like that's going to happen."
"Yes well. enjoy."
"Wow, thank you!"

No comments:

Post a Comment